Monday, March 28, 2011

Rosie's Bread Sticks

This is from the Enumclaw Tri-Ward Cookbook, by the wonderful Rosie Johnson- I'm pretty sure they are fail proof! One time I made them I didn't have time to let the rise until doubled. Another time I made them too early (I was excited about the party!!!) and the raised (?) three times before baked!!! and they always turn out good.

1 TBS yeast
1 1/2 C warm water
2 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 - 4 C flour

Soften yeast in warm water (I add the sugar to assist)
Mix sugar (if not added to water), salt, and 3 1/5 cups flour together; add yeast mixture
Blend well adding enough remainng flour to form soft dough (less is more!)
Knead three minutes
Cover and let rise 10 minutes
Coat jellyroll pan with margarine
Put dough in middle of pan and press to outer edge
Spread topping (reciepe below) over dough
Cut down middle and across to form slices (I do this after it's baked; it's too sticky before)
Let rise until almost doubled
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes
Cool in pan

Topping (this is what makes it!)
1/4 c margarine, softened
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
1/4 c mayonnaise
1/4 tsp parsley flakes
1/4 tsp garlic salt

Blend well and spread over bread stick dough
(I've used grated Parmesan cheese but also sprinkled the top with shredded Parmesan after spreading the mixture- either way was great!)

No comments: