Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blueberry Bran Muffins

Blueberry Bran Muffins
1 1/2 cups wheat bran or oat bran1 cup whole wheat flour2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed (I happened to have this on hand, but if you don't, you could probably just substitute it with more bran.)1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda1 teaspoon ground cinnamon1/8 teaspoon salt3/4 cup milk1/3 cup honey1 ripe banana, mashed1 large egg2 Tablespoons olive oil1 teaspoon vanilla (optional--I rarely ever use vanilla in recipes. It's just a small way that we save money. And we never notice any difference. I'm sure that this breaks culinary rules, but we're just weird like that!)1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine the bran, flour, flaxseed, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In another medium bowl, combine the milk, honey, banana, egg, olive oil, and vanilla until smooth.
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Gently stir in blueberries. Spoon batter into greased muffin cups and bake for 8 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Makes about 15 muffins.

No comments: