Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rag Quilts

So I know this is not technically a recipe but I thought you might all like it- it's a different take on the rag quilts that mom so lovingly made us (thanks Mom!) just in case you ever wanted to make one down the road... I got it from Simone and I don't think I entirely understand the directions but we (Simone and I... or at least Simone depending on when I pop) will be making them and let us know how it turned out, maybe even put up pictures (hint, hint). According to the directions if you get 7/8 of a yard of the 8 fabrics you can make 3 blankets- Simone bought that much fabric today and with the flannels on sale for about 2 something a yard it priced out at about $20- not bad for three blankets! Anyways we'll let you know how it goes!!! Enjoy!



Items needed:
1. eight different fabrics (eg 2 patterns, 2 checks, 2 stripes, and 2 floral/star/heart for a good balance) 12” (of 45” width) of each fabric (7/8 of a yard makes three quilts)
2. 1 ¼ yard flannel for the border

Preparation:
1. Fold and cut printed fabrics into 5” strips, leaving fabric folded (you will need for front and back
2. Fold and cut two solid strips 45” long and two solid strips 35” long (for the border)
3. Lay out fabric so you have a good pattern

Making the quilt:
1. Sew four strips together with ½ seam (repeat four times)
2. Fold fabric and cut 5” strips
3. Sew ends together so you can see the same pattern eight times
4. Make seven loops with fabric
5. Unpick loop at correct place in pattern and lay out blanket
6. Sew pattern together, be sure to pin, and make sure seams are together
7. Add border, short sides opposite each other first, then long. Cut extra fabric
8. Cut ½ inch cuts
9. Wash and dry!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will need 1 1/4 yds for EACH border (of the three quilts) - so if you are using the same color for all three borders you need 3 3/4 yds along with the 7/8 yd of 8 different patterns. This way you will have 3 complete quilts. Borders usually work out best with a solid color.
You can find some great deals on the JoAnn's fabric website - go to clearance and also look for the specials that offer free shipping.

After you snip the quilt, be sure to wash it at least once before you give it away. DO NOT wash it with anything else, you will be picking fuzz out of your clothes forever.